This position reviews and analyzes documentation of outpatient services and coding of those services to ensure accurate, complete and effective billing for services. The position will train providers and billing staff in best practices for medical coding of services, and document processes for clarity and consistency.
Responsibilities and Standards:
- Receive and review patient charts and documents for accuracy
- Ensure that all codes are current and active
- Report missing or incomplete documentation
- Ensure proper coding on provider documentation
- Maintain documentation of coding protocols and serve as a reference to providers and billing staff
- Train new providers and billing staff on coding processes and protocols
- Serve as a resource regarding insurance resolutions and coding questions
- Follows coding guidelines and legal requirements to ensure compliance with federal and state regulations
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Efforts are generally responsive to work flow, must be able to work independently and prioritize work on a daily or weekly basis, subject to occasional reprioritization by others
- Impact of work performance could result in a noticeable impact in the organization and may involve management attention.
- May be required to perform the duties of other employees, including supervisors/managers, in their absence.
- May be required to perform duties and responsibilities not listed in this description, on a temporary or long-term basis.
- High School Degree or equivalent; Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred. Experience may substitute some education.
- Two (2) years of medical coding experience
Licenses and Certifications:
- Medical Coding Certificate; RHIT or CPC; must meet state licensure requirements
- Maintain coding certification and attend in-service training as required.
- Experience with behavioral health services preferred
- Understanding of medical terminology, anatomy, physiology and mental health
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Goal-oriented, organized team player
- Effectively uses Electronic Health Records
- Accurate and precise attention to detail
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and manage time efficiently
- Strong computer skills in data entry, coding, and Microsoft office software